We love this veggie stir fry recipe! It options completely cooked greens, and probably the most scrumptious garlic ginger stir fry sauce. Serve over rice or noodles. Jump to the Veggie Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make a Vegetable Stir Fry?
This vegetable stir fry is easy and might be tailored primarily based on what you have got readily available. Here’s a fast rundown of the tactic to provide you an concept:
(1) Rinse and chop veggies into related sizes. I like holding the whole lot in bite-size items.
(2) Separate the veggies into two piles: quick-cooking and extra hearty veggies. Greens like bok choy or spinach, bell peppers, scallions, and tomatoes go into the pile of quick-cooking veggies, and place heartier veggies like broccoli, mushrooms, and cauliflower into the opposite pile.
(3) Cook the heartier veggies first. Use a large skillet or wok and prepare dinner them in oil, stirring typically, till they’re nearly tender, which takes round 3 minutes.
(4) Toss within the quicker-cooking veggies and prepare dinner till the whole lot is brighter in coloration and crisp-tender, 2 to three minutes extra.
(5) Pour in your stir-fry sauce (right here is ours) and produce it to a simmer. Thicken the sauce with some cornstarch combined with water, after which serve!
What Vegetables Should I Add to a Stir Fry?
You can add any vegetable to this recipe. I encourage you to experiment with totally different textures and colours. Or use no matter you have got within the fridge. From our photographs, you’ll be able to see that we used a range, however don’t really feel you might want to comply with in our footsteps. Use what you have got and use what you’re keen on.
When selecting greens for stir fry recipes, maintain this in thoughts:
Vegetables might be separated into two camps: quick-cooking and hearty. In the case of this stir fry, it’s best to provide the heartier greens a number of additional minutes within the pan earlier than including the faster cooking ones. This means, the hearty greens are cooked, and the quicker cooking greens don’t overcook. Here are some ideas:
Quick Cooking Veggies
- Greens like spinach, kale, and mustard greens
- Thinly sliced onions or scallions
- Thinly shredded cabbage or shredded Brussels sprouts
- Bok choy
- Bell peppers
- Bean sprouts
- Zucchini and summer season squash
- Snap peas, snow peas, and English peas
- Green beans
- Baby corn
- Fresh herbs
Our Garlic Ginger Stir Fry Sauce
We use our Garlic Ginger Stir Fry Sauce for this recipe and find it irresistible! Please have a look at our stir fry sauce recipe to see why we predict it’s higher than something you should purchase on the retailer. We use a beneficiant quantity of stir fry sauce (our recipe makes 1 ½ cups and we use all of it!).
After including the sauce, we look ahead to it to start out effervescent. At that time, we stir in a combination of cornstarch and chilly water. This cornstarch combination helps to thicken the sauce in order that it turns into the right consistency and sticks to the veggies.
The full recipe is shared beneath. We additionally use this sauce to make our Garlic Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry.
FAQ: Do I want to make use of cornstarch on this stir fry recipe?
Cornstarch is what thickens our sauce and helps it keep on with all these stunning greens. If you select to go away it out, do not forget that the sauce shall be thinner than what’s proven in our photographs.
We have two cornstarch substitutes you’ll be able to attempt for those who nonetheless need to thicken the sauce, however miss cornstarch. We do favor cornstarch on this recipe, however all-purpose flour and arrowroot are additionally choices. To thicken the sauce with flour, use two tablespoons of flour combined with 1/4 cup of chilly water. To thicken the sauce with arrowroot, use one tablespoon of arrowroot powder combined with 3 tablespoons of chilly water. (Note, arrowroot doesn’t reheat that nicely, so it’s best to serve the stir fry straight-away).
FAQ: What kind of pan ought to I exploit for a stir fry?
A wok is great for cooking stir-fries, however any heavy-bottomed skillet will work for this recipe. A big forged iron skillet could be good. When cooking stir fries, we need to use excessive warmth so pans with nonstick surfaces aren’t the perfect.
Cast iron, stainless-steel, and carbon metal are all glorious choices. Depending on how typically your pan has been used, you would possibly expertise some sticking. If you do, maintain the warmth excessive and add a bit extra oil to assist the greens transfer round within the pan.
Garlic Ginger Veggie Stir Fry
This veggie stir fry is easy and fast to make. You will want 6 to 7 cups of greens. Choose a wide range of colours and textures. We prefer to maintain about half of the greens on the heartier facet (like broccoli and carrots). Add the heartier veggies to the pan first and prepare dinner for a couple of minutes earlier than including faster cooking greens like scallions, bell pepper, and snow peas. This means, all of the greens prove completely cooked.
The stir fry sauce might be made prematurely. It is additional scrumptious when made with contemporary ginger and garlic, however for those who don’t have these readily available, you’ll be able to depart them out.
Makes 4 servings
You Will Need
Veggie Stir Fry
1 ½ cups broccoli florets
2 medium carrots, sliced into matchsticks, about 1 cup
4 ounces mushrooms, sliced, about 1 cup
1 bell pepper, sliced
1 bunch scallions, sliced into 1-inch items
1 cup snow peas
2 small tomatoes, reduce into wedges
3 tablespoons impartial oil like vegetable or avocado oil
Stir Fry Sauce
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons minced contemporary ginger (thumb-size piece of ginger)
1 cup hen or vegetable inventory
2 tablespoons darkish soy sauce
2 tablespoons gentle soy sauce
2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine, substitute dry sherry or mirin, see notes
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon floor white pepper
- Make Stir Fry Sauce
- Make Stir Fry
Combine all the stir fry sauce substances in a jar. Seal the jar with a lid, after which shake till the sugar dissolves. Use right away or retailer in an hermetic container, refrigerate, and use inside two days. For questions in regards to the substances and substitutions for this sauce, see our stir fry sauce recipe.
Alternatively, add all substances to a small saucepan and prepare dinner over medium warmth till the sugar dissolves. Store or use right away.
Stir one tablespoon of cornstarch with three tablespoons of chilly water, after which put aside.
Divide the greens into two piles. One ought to be heartier, longer cooking greens (broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms) and the opposite pile ought to have the faster cooking greens (bell pepper, scallions, snow peas, and tomatoes).
Heat a big, heavy skillet or wok over excessive warmth. Add 1 ½ tablespoons of excessive warmth oil (like vegetable or avocado oil), after which add the pile of heartier greens (broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms). Cook, stirring the greens across the pan, till they begin to sweat and soften, about 3 minutes.
Throw within the remaining greens and proceed to prepare dinner for an additional 2 to three minutes or till the greens are achieved. If the pan wants extra oil, add one other tablespoon or in order wanted. (For reference on telling when the greens are achieved, the broccoli ought to be vivid inexperienced and crisp-tender, the mushrooms ought to be browned barely and shriveled, and the snow peas ought to be vivid inexperienced and a bit floppy.)
Pour within the stir fry sauce. Give the cornstarch combination yet another stir, after which slowly pour it into the stir fry. Stir the whole lot round till the sauce thickens and sticks to the greens. Serve instantly.
Adam and Joanne’s Tips
- Nutrition info: The vitamin info offered beneath are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
- Shaoxing wine is a Chinese rice wine typically utilized in Chinese delicacies. It’s probably the most genuine selection on this recipe, so we extremely advocate including it to your pantry if you could find it. However, for those who don’t have entry to it, now we have two alternate options: dry sherry and mirin. Mirin is sweeter than Shaoxing wine so you’ll doubtless want to scale back the sugar by 1 tablespoon. One extra choice is to make use of rice wine vinegar. This will make the sauce style a bit totally different and you might want a bit extra sugar.
- Gluten-free suggestions: When searching for the substances listed above (particularly the soy sauce), search for gluten-free on the label. If you can’t discover gluten-free soy sauce, search for gluten-free tamari, which, in contrast to soy sauce is historically made with or without little or no wheat.
Nutrition Per Serving: Serving Size 1/4 of the recipe / Calories 244 energy / Total Fat 14.5g / Saturated Fat 2.1g / Cholesterol 0mg / Sodium 1053.8mg / Carbohydrate 25.9g / Dietary Fiber 4g / Total Sugars 16.5g / Protein 4.7g