Our favourite recipe for making a traditional apple pie from scratch. This recipe ensures apple pie with completely cooked (not mushy) apples surrounded by a thickened and gently spiced sauce all baked inside a flaky, golden-brown crust. Jump to the Apple Pie Recipe
How to Make Perfect Homemade Apple Pie
It’s taken us some time to zero in on our favourite technique for making apple pie, however I believe we’ve lastly nailed it. This easy recipe ensures completely cooked apples surrounded with a thick gently spiced sauce. There’s no want for precooking the sauce or apples and the steps to make this pie are easy, you simply want slightly time.
As with the entire pie recipes on Inspired Taste, we begin with this selfmade pie crust. I’m a stickler on this one. It has by no means failed us and is our go-to recipe for pumpkin pie, tarts, and different fruit pies like blueberry pie.
You could make the crust prematurely. It will be refrigerated or frozen. Definitely examine our pie crust recipe for our tips about making it (it even has a video).
As for the apples, we use quite a lot of them and like to make use of two or extra varieties for probably the most apple-flavored pie. I’ve listed a few of our favorites under. It isn’t a whole record, nevertheless it ought to offer you some inspiration when procuring in your selfmade pie. If you end up with further apples, strive making selfmade applesauce!
We don’t precook the apples earlier than including them to the crust.
Instead, we toss peeled and sliced apples with sugar, salt, and spices in a big bowl. When the apples are nicely coated, we set the bowl apart and let the apples sit for about an hour.
In this hour, the sugar and salt work on the apples to assist them launch their scrumptious liquid (you’ll be able to see how a lot in our photographs and the video). The apples additionally soften fairly a bit. We do that when making apple bread, too.
Then simply earlier than including the apples to the ready pie dish, we toss in some starch — I normally use cornstarch, however tapioca starch works, too. This starch mixes with all that liquid launched by the apples and can assist thicken it because the pie bakes within the oven.
I’ve adopted just a few pie recipes that ask you to throw away some or all of that scrumptious liquid earlier than filling the pie. There’s a lot taste there!
Thankfully, with our pie-making technique, you should use the entire liquid, which with our barely longer bake time will flip right into a thickened sauce. I’ve measured how a lot liquid is launched from the apples over 1 hour and persistently get about 3/4 cup. A little bit extra or rather less is okay, although.
If you discover that your apples launched far more, you would possibly need to think about leaving slightly behind. (When apples are overripe, they will launch extra liquid than standard, which might make your pie a bit extra runny.)
On this topic, be certain to learn our suggestions under for cooling the pie. The cooling step is essential with fruit pies and goes an extended method to ensuring the filling is definitely thick and gained’t run out onto your plate the second you chop it.
The Apples We Use For Apple Pie
To make this apple pie, we use roughly 4 kilos of apples (or about 11 cups of sliced apples). For the very best apple taste, strive including multiple number of apple to your pie.
We particularly love these types of apples for baked desserts and pie:
- Granny Smith — Your customary, never-fails baking apple. Tart, crisp, and so they hold their construction after time within the oven.
- Honeycrisp — Extra crisp and all the time holds agency after baking. One of our favorites!
- Jonagold — Tart with a little bit of sweetness. They additionally maintain up nicely within the oven.
- Braeburn — Crisp, candy apples that maintain up nicely in pie and different baked desserts.
- Mutsu — Big apples that appear to be a big Golden Delicious. Has a candy honeyed taste and holds up nicely in pie.
- Pink Lady — stability of candy and tart. Will additionally maintain its form when baked.
- Golden Delicious — Sweet and flavorful apple that’s very versatile. Will maintain up in pie, however will change into softer than among the varieties talked about above.
- Jazz — Sweet and crisp taste. Will maintain up properly in pie.
How Long Does Apple Pie Take?
We bake a regular 9-inch pie in a 400 diploma oven for about 75 minutes.
One of the most important complaints with apple pie is that the filling is simply too runny, even after following a recipe. That’s why we’ve change into such followers of this technique of creating apple pie.
With this technique (which we first tried after flipping by Bravetart), the pie bakes at one temperature for a very long time. This further lengthy bake time makes positive the liquid within the apple pie filling has an opportunity to simmer and thicken.
How to Tell When The Pie Is Done
Here are three easy strategies for telling when apple pie is able to come out of the oven:
Visual cue: Apple pie is finished when the juices are effervescent by the vents of the highest crust or lattice. If you don’t see bubbles, the pie wants extra time.
Internal temperature: The pie is finished when an inner thermometer inserted into the center of the pie reads 195 levels Fahrenheit (90C).
Texture of the apples: Piercing the pie is an effective indication of how gentle the apples are. If they really feel too crunchy, the pie wants extra time.
More Baking Tips for Apple Pie
- Use a trusted pie crust recipe. We all the time use this selfmade pie crust recipe for our pies.
- Prepare the apple pie filling first and set it apart for 1 hour, permitting the apples to launch their juices then combine the apples and the juices with a thickener like cornstarch or tapioca starch.
- Bake at 400 levels F for about 75 minutes, turning just a few occasions for even browning. The lengthy bake time makes positive that the filling thickens contained in the pie.
- If your crust begins to brown too rapidly or appears to be turning too darkish, mildew a big piece of foil over a bowl that’s been positioned the other way up to make a foil dome. Place the foil dome over the pie for the remaining bake time. This will gradual the browning.
- Let apple pie cool earlier than slicing into it. For the very best outcomes, the filling ought to be room temperature or chilly earlier than slicing. Cooling the pie offers the liquid inside an opportunity to thicken much more, which suggests it gained’t spill out right into a pool if you lower into the pie. (This is true for different fruit pies, particularly blueberry pie and selfmade cherry pie.)
More Easy Apple Recipes
Simple Apple Tart — How to make a beautiful apple tart with a buttery crust, thinly sliced apples, and toasted almonds.
Apple Pie Cupcakes — A enjoyable and straightforward apple pie cupcake recipe made with cinnamon roll dough, spiced apples and a crumble topping. How can it go mistaken?
Dutch Baby Pancakes with Apples — How to make the very best tall, fluffy Dutch child pancakes with tender apples. The excellent breakfast or dessert!
Easy Apple Crisp — This apple crisp recipe with oats has candy tender apples and a crisp and crunchy topping made with flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon.
Baked Cinnamon Apples — These cinnamon baked apples are simple sufficient for tonight, however double as the proper dessert for family and friends (or the vacations).
Creamy Apple Salad with Celery and Fennel — We love this recent and straightforward apple salad recipe made with crisp apples, celery, fennel, and a straightforward creamy dressing.
Our Favorite Apple Pie
We understand our apple pie recipe could seem longer than others, however don’t let that scare you off. We’ve merely added as many tricks to the recipe to make sure you make the very best apple pie attainable. Use our recipe to attain apple pie with completely cooked (not mushy) apples surrounded by a thickened and engaging sauce all baked inside a flaky, golden-brown crust. The pie crust recipe we use for this apple pie is similar as all different pies on Inspired Taste. This flaky pie crust recipe by no means fails us. You can use any pie crust for this pie however, for the very best outcomes, we extremely suggest our recipe.
Makes one (9-inch) pie
Watch Us Make the Recipe
You Will Need
Pie dough for high and backside 9-inch pie, chilled, see our Flaky Pie Crust Recipe
4 to 4 ¼ kilos baking apples (7 to eight apples), see notes for strategies
1/2 cup (100 grams) gentle or darkish brown sugar
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon advantageous sea salt
1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon floor ginger
1/4 teaspoon floor cardamom
1/4 teaspoon floor allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons cornstarch or use 4 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
1 tablespoon butter
- Make Apple Filling
- Prepare Pie Crust
- Prepare Oven
- Assemble Pie
- Bake Pie
- Storing and Leftovers
Peel, after which lower the apples in half. Remove the cores, after which slice apple halves into skinny slices, about 1/4-inch thick. Place the apple slices into a really giant bowl.
Scatter each sugars, salt, and spices over the apples, after which use your arms to toss them, coating the apple slices as a lot as attainable. Set apart for 1 hour at room temperature.
Roll out the primary half of pie dough on a frivolously floured work floor. To stop the dough from sticking and to make sure uniform thickness, roll from the middle of the dough outwards and hold lifting up and turning the dough 1 / 4 flip as you roll. Check for the right measurement by inverting the pie dish over the dough. The dough ought to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches bigger than the dish.
Being cautious to not stretch it, place the dough into the pie dish, after which trim overhanging dough to inside 3/4-inch of the sting of the dish. Refrigerate whilst you make the pie filling.
Roll out the second half of the dough to an analogous measurement as earlier than and switch it to a big parchment-lined baking sheet. Keep this within the fridge till wanted.
Position an oven rack in direction of the middle of the oven, after which warmth the oven to 400 levels Fahrenheit (200C).
Toss cornstarch (or tapioca) with the apples. Transfer most (if not all) of the apples into the ready backside crust, utilizing your arms to actually pack them down into the pie. Fill the pie till apples are mounded on the identical top as the sting of the pie crust. If you’ve gotten too many apples, save them (see notes).
Pour the juices which have accrued on the backside of the bowl over the apples. (If it appears like there’s greater than 3/4 to 1 cup of liquid, you would possibly need to depart some behind, see notes under). Cut a tablespoon of butter into 8 or so small items and dot them over the pie.
For a double-crust pie, place the second pie dough spherical over the filling or lower it into strips and lattice the highest (See our video within the article above or learn this tutorial for tips on how to lattice pie crust). If you aren’t including a lattice crust and as a substitute are including the highest crust in a single piece, use a pointy knife to chop just a few slits within the high of the crust to permit steam to vent.
Trim extra dough from the highest crust or lattice strips, after which fold the overhang beneath itself, forming a thick rim. Press it collectively or crimp it together with your fingers (or use a fork).
Whisk the egg with a tablespoon of water, after which use it as an egg wash by frivolously brushing the highest crust. This provides shine and helps the crust brown.
Place the ready pie onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (this may be the identical lined baking sheet used for chilling the highest crust). Bake the pie for about 75 minutes, turning just a few occasions for even browning.
If you discover that the pie crust is browning too rapidly, mildew a big piece of foil over a bowl that’s been positioned the other way up to make a foil dome. Place the foil dome over the pie for the remaining bake time. This will gradual the browning.
Apple pie is finished when the juices are effervescent by the vents of the highest crust or lattice. If you don’t see bubbles, the pie wants extra time. Another method to examine for doneness is to make use of an inner thermometer. Pierce the pie within the center then take a look at the temperature. The pie is finished when it reads 195 levels Fahrenheit (90C). Piercing the pie can be a pleasant indication of how gentle the apples are. If they really feel too crunchy, the pie wants extra time.
Be positive to chill the pie, with out slicing into it, for at the least 1 hour, ideally longer. Keep in thoughts that the pie filling doesn’t absolutely thicken till it’s utterly cooled. So, for the best possible outcomes, cool the pie to room temperature, after which place it into the fridge for an hour or two.
Waiting to chop into the pie till cool will stop a soggy slice.
Leftover pie will hold, at room temperature, for two to three days or within the fridge as much as per week. Rewarm slices in a 350 diploma Fahrenheit oven for five to 10 minutes earlier than serving them.
Adam and Joanne’s Tips
- Best apples to make use of: For probably the most apple taste, strive a pair types of apples in your pie. We particularly love Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Braeburn, Mutsu, Pink Lady, Golden Delicious, and Jazz
- Leftover apples: Sometimes, not all of the apples we sliced make it into our pie. That’s okay, although! To use them up, add them to a skillet with a splash of water, apple juice, or nothing in any respect and prepare dinner till softened. A little bit butter or coconut oil added to the pan can be fairly scrumptious! Serve the apples over ice cream or oatmeal.
- Liquid quantity: After 1 hour of letting the apples sit with the sugar, salt, and spices, we persistently get about 3/4 cup of liquid left on the backside of the bowl. A little bit extra or rather less is okay, however for those who discover that your apples launched far more, you would possibly need to think about leaving slightly behind. (When apples are overripe, they will launch extra liquid than standard, which might make your pie a bit extra runny.)
- Recipe has been impressed and tailored by Bravetart’s apple pie.
- Nutrition information: The vitamin information supplied under are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
Nutrition Per Serving: Serving Size 1 slice (8 whole) / Calories 583 / Total Fat 25.2g / Saturated Fat 15.4g / Cholesterol 64.8mg / Sodium 226.4mg / Carbohydrate 88.6g / Dietary Fiber 4.2g / Total Sugars 50.4g / Protein 5g