This basic bean salad is ideal for picnics, barbecues and make forward meals. To make it, we mix beans (canned or house cooked), onion, crisp cucumber, capers, parsley, and a tangy dressing. Easy and scrumptious! Jump to the Bean Salad Recipe
Our Favorite Bean Salad
Bean salads are my go to when entertaining (particularly in the course of the summer time). I additionally discover myself making them for make forward meals all through the week. This easy bean salad is flexible and might be made with no matter beans you’ve got in your pantry. Use canned or house cooked — see our recipes for the right way to prepare dinner black beans and the right way to prepare dinner chickpeas.
In our photographs, we’ve used chickpeas, pinto beans and black beans. For a extra conventional three bean salad, you could possibly swap in kidney beans and canned or blanched inexperienced beans for the black beans and pinto beans. Or make it a 5 bean salad and simply add them! As I mentioned, this salad could be very versatile. Simply use what you’ve got in your kitchen.
I really like maintaining the flavors on this salad gentle and so the dressing solely requires a fast whisk of pink wine vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt, pepper, and a little bit of dried herbs. I exploit dried oregano, however a mix like Italian seasoning or Herbes de Provence would work properly, too.
Our ideas for making the most effective bean salad
- When utilizing canned beans, drain them and rinse below chilly water earlier than tossing with the opposite salad components. The liquid within the can can style a bit salty and because it has starch from the beans, it might probably make the salad’s dressing look murky.
- Add recent herbs to the salad. I really like recent parsley and add lots. Other herbs will work, too. Try basil, mint, tarragon, dill and cilantro. When including tarragon, add to style because it is a little more pungent than different superb herbs.
- Add some crunch to stability the feel of the beans. We add cucumber, however celery, fennel, jicama and bell peppers are all wonderful crunchy veggies so as to add.
- Chill the salad within the fridge for a minimum of an hour earlier than serving to permit the beans to marinate within the dressing.
- Store the salad within the fridge as much as 4 days (possibly longer).
More simple bean salads
For extra bean salads, check out these:
Ridiculously Easy Bean Salad
The beans you select to make use of for this easy bean salad is as much as you. Both canned or house cooked beans will work. When utilizing canned, drain and rinse the beans first earlier than including to the salad.
Makes about 6 cups
Watch Us Make the Recipe
You Will Need
For the Salad
3 (15-ounce) cans beans, drained and rinsed or use 4 ½ cups cooked beans
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1 medium cucumber, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
3 tablespoons drained capers
1/2 cup (60 grams) finely chopped recent parsley, see notes
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, see notes
For the Dressing
1/4 cup (60 ml) pink wine vinegar
1/4 cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 to 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup, optionally available
3/4 teaspoon superb sea salt, plus extra to style
1/4 teaspoon recent floor black pepper
Add chopped onions to a small bowl and canopy with chilly water. Set apart for five minutes, drain, after which rinse. This step helps to take away a few of the “raw” taste of the onion in order that it doesn’t overpower the salad.
Meanwhile, within the backside of a giant bowl, whisk collectively the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Taste the dressing after which alter with extra salt/pepper. If the dressing tastes too abrasive, whisk in 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup to stability out the vinegar.
Add the beans, drained onion, cucumber, parsley, capers and dried oregano. Toss properly, cowl and chill within the fridge a minimum of 1 hour to permit the beans to marinate within the dressing.
The salad will preserve saved in an hermetic container within the fridge as much as 4 days.
Adam and Joanne’s Tips
- In our photographs, we’ve used chickpeas, black beans and pinto beans. You can use these or different cooked or canned beans for the salad.
- Honey/Maple Syrup: Depending on the vinegar you utilize, you would possibly discover the dressing a bit of too vinegary. To stability this out, merely whisk in a bit of sweetener like honey or maple syrup.
- Fresh herbs: Parsley is basic on this salad, however different superb herbs work properly, too. Try basil, mint, dill, cilantro or tarragon. When utilizing tarragon, use a bit lower than what is known as for within the recipe above because it has a stronger taste.
- Dried herbs: I get pleasure from dried oregano on this salad, however different herb blends will work properly. Try an Italian, Mediterranean or French dried spice mix (like Herbes de Provence).
- Nutrition Facts: The diet information supplied under are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
Nutrition Per Serving: Serving Size about 1/2 cup / Calories 135 / Total Fat 6.3g / Saturated Fat 0.8g / Cholesterol 0mg / Sodium 343.5mg / Carbohydrate 16g / Dietary Fiber 4.3g / Total Sugars 3.2g / Protein 4.7g